1. learning; knowledge acquired by study; the academic attainments of a scholar.
2. a sum of money or other aid granted to a student, because of merit, need, etc., to pursue his or her studies.
3. the position or status of such a student.
4. a foundation to provide financial assistance to students
defines "scholarship". Or so it states in dictionary.com.
Personally, a scholarship means a lot to me. I grow up in a sexist environment, and my relatives think that I am stupid because I am a girl, no matter how many times I ace my subjects. A scholarship means recognition to me, and it recognizes my talents, my strengths. And that means a lot to me. I want to prove that I have the potential to excel, being a girl or not. I want to be recognized for who I really am, what I do. And a scholarship fulfills that criteria.
Also, my family is struggling with problems related to money. Yes, a scholarship is "a foundation to provide financial assistance to students", and my family needs it in order for my sister and I to continue our education.
Moreover, a scholarship is also like killing two birds with one stone for me. By obtaining a scholarship, I can make my parents proud and help out with our monetary problems. It makes me glow with joy when I see that my parents are happy and need not struggle so hard for our survival.
Listed above is what I roughly think the word "scholarship" means to me. Now, moving on to my responsibilities. Or more accurately, the responsibilities a scholar has.
Scholars must continue excelling in whatever they do and never let the people who bestowed the scholarship upon them down. That, and the people forever rooting and cheering for them. Also, scholars must be good role models and perform the best in themselves. They should be law-abiding, responsible, hardworking, courteous, humble and grateful. Now, what could be more important that those traits that every living soul should have?
Obviously, there will be obstacles obstructing everyone's glorious path. Including scholars'.
Money is now not the major problem. The major problem is now ourselves. Do we believe in ourselves enough, or are we going to be discouraged by others, meaning to hurt and destroy our path. Are we going to be set back by stress, or our own unwillingness to do something? Or even being lazy? These are problems we must contemplate seriously.
And not just these. If we were to study abroad, there would be more obstacles. Would we be able to cope with the rent, the homesickness, the stress, our safety and so on so forth, all at the same time? Nothing is impossible, but many are tough. Also, would we be independent enough to take care of ourselves? Would we, the pampered children of this era, even learn to do housework?
Of course, by overcoming obstacles we become stronger and better people. But they are not easy to overcome. A lot of will power and hard work is required. Are we game enough for them?
Now, let's move on. Is a scholar also a leader? Oh yes, of course. If everyone is their own leader, scholars are no exception. We, along with everyone else, must depend on ourselves, our thinking, our attitude, our actions, to get us through life successfully. When things go wrong, we should take the blame ourselves and make up for it. Leaders lead, and take their people to their glorious goals. Scholars should do that to themselves.
Lastly, who and how do I intend to serve as a scholar? I intend to serve my country fully, by being law-abiding and loyal. I shall serve the community, by volunteering my services when and where possible. I shall serve my school, by being loyal and achieving wonderful results, be it academic or CCA, and make my school proud. And last but not least, I shall serve my family, by always being there whenever they need me, and making them proud and happy over and over again.

2 comments:
A rather detailed entry about scholarship and service xP Seems like scholarship really means a lot to you... Go for it, girl.
Hey chelsea! You seem ambitious about ur goals eh! Go get them with this scholarship programme! =]
Post a Comment